Download our FREE smartphone app today!
The world has changed greatly in the last 20 years with many people working in jobs today that simply didn’t exist when their parents left education. That’s why students today need careers advice that will enable them to be ready for the opportunities and challenges of working life.
We have staff members with specific responsibility for careers. Details will be added here in September 2018. In addition, a Careers Advisor is contracted to Harris Academy Orpington 36 days per year as part of a Harris Federation agreement.
- A varied careers library is available within the school library. All students have the opportunity to visit the library and access the books. In addition the Sixth Form study area is well equipped with university prospectuses and literature on alternative career routes.
- An academy-wide PSHE programme is delivered to all students. This covers career choices and pathways, financial guidance (salaries and income), employment rights and careers for the future.
- A drop down day for Year 8 students is followed by an information evening for parents to guide the subject choices to study at GCSE. This is followed by one-to-one subject meetings with senior leaders to advise and make informed choices.
- Year 10 students will take part in group career meetings prior to their one-to-one meetings in Year 11. Students are instructed to start considering their next steps in preparation for their GCSE exam year.
- Year 11 students have one-to-one meetings with senior leaders to support and guide their progression into Key Stage 5.
- A Level taster sessions are available in all subjects to Year 11 students.
- All Year 11, 12 and 13 students will receive a one-to-one careers interview during the academic year with the federation careers advisor. Evaluation and individual careers plans are constructed as a result of the careers interviews and kept on file for future interviews and discussions. Those students who raise concerns regarding their future are re-interviewed in the Summer Term. Careers advisors are on hand at GCSE and A-Level results day to support and guide students in making the correct choice for their next level of education.
Other careers services
- Year 11 academic and personal references are completed by faculty directors.
- Details of student destinations after leaving Harris Academy Orpington are kept on file. Interviews and support is made available for those without confirmed progression routes. This support continues until students have a confirmed progression route post results.
- Support with GCSE and Post 16 options processes
- Orpington Experience visits to universities
- Visiting speakers arranged through the Orpington Experience programme.
- Federation ‘Next Steps’ evening for students and parents of students in years 11, 12 and 13.