The online world is becoming vaster with young people using social media and the internet to explore opportunities for learning and creativity. However, while the internet is a great resource, there are risks and dangers that every student should be aware of to help protect themselves and be safe online.
Our E-Safety Policy can be accessed from the link at the bottom of our Safeguarding page. Should you have any concerns about your child's e-safety simply call the school and ask for our safeguarding officers or speak to any member of staff. The academy teaches students e-safety as part of the personal, social, health education (PSHE) curriculum. However, it is vital that parents are aware of the risks and what they can do to develop a culture of e-safety in the home.
E-safety resources for parents
Here are some resources about online safety for parents/carers that you might find helpful.
- Keeping your child safe online – a checklist for parents and carers
- Cyberbullying – what it is and what to do about it
- Accessing inappropriate websites leaflet
- Facebook parents' guide
- Online grooming – the risks children face online
- Think You Know – website with useful information about, for example, what children are doing online, what risks they face and how to help them stay safe.
- The NSPCC website (Keeping Children Safe section) has useful information on topics such as online safety, sexting, parental controls and Share Aware, a campaign which provides straightforward advice to parents on how to keep 8-12-year-olds safe on social networks
- The 5 digital parenting rules that REALLY matter – from ParentInfo.org.uk, which also has useful information about privacy settings and Digital Resilience – A Parent's Guide
- Getsafeonline.org – free up-to-date security advice
- cybermentors.org.uk – online support for children
- ceop.police.uk – website of the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre
- bbc.co.uk – guidance on online safety
If your child is vaping, the resources below may help support them in stopping.